Monday, March 21, 2011

Update: Suzanne

I am getting on the blog after 3 days of the food challenge.   Diane and I put all the food on the top of the hutch to display our weeks’ worth of food. When people have come through the house it has provided great topic for conversation and interest.   Most individuals were surprised at the items and then realized that these items are exactly what they themselves have donated to the food bank.  They did not feel good about selection that was available.  It surprised people that there were items that were completely unrelated to anything else in the food bank box.  For example the canned beef gravy.  However, it will be good over a potato by the end of the week!  Most people thought you could go to the food bank monthly, but if you are on Ontario Works you can only access the food bank three times a year however, if BBKC takes a participant a four or fifth time, they are not turned away.   This news was also new to most people.

Here we go:
I have been fighting a nasty cold so the challenge started by me dragging myself out to pick up our food.

Day 1:  Friday March 18th
Drinking box
Toast and PB for breakfast
Tomato soup for lunch
Egg Sandwich for dinner

Day 2: Saturday March 19th
Oatmeal for breakfast ( took me two attempts because there were no instruction ( although I know it isn’t hard!  )
Tomato soup…again and a bagel
2 pieces of the “bacon”, one onion and two carrots cooked together and…………..6 cookies  I am sick and on the couch.

Day 3: Sunday March 20th
½ orange and a banana for breakfast
Soft boiled egg and beans for lunch
Stir fry of mushroom, garlic, carrots, broccoli and a couple of stewed tomatoes over linguini for dinner
Vanilla pudding and a few canned mandarin oranges


Our experience:

I have found the inability to make a choice confronting.  I would like to eat what I want when I want and because I have been sick I would have liked more juice and home made chicken soup!  Over the weekend, while lying on the couch I could not believe the number of food commercials on television!!!!!   Our eggs did not have an expiry date on them so we used our own eggs.   I am tracking our sodium intake because of the number of canned items. Thank goodness we had the five pantry items, however, we are missing our fresh vegetables.    I am looking forward to some creative recipe ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment