Saturday, March 19, 2011

Update: Jordan


Food Challenge Log
Delivery Day: Thursday March 17th, 2011
The food arrived today… and kept on arriving.  Right to my office a great variety of canned goods, fresh fruit and vegetables.  Plus a dozen eggs, a litre of milk, bread, bagels and a slab of back bacon the size of a roast.  Perhaps I am overconfident but I don’t foresee any problems expected living off this and living well. 
Day 1: Friday March 18th 2011 (Vacation Day)
I guess my confidence got the better of me.  I left the eggs, milk and bacon at work.  I convince myself that substituting the milk and eggs from home is allowable within the rules of the challenge as long as I replace them with the official supply and don’t eat more than I was allotted.  With my belly full after eating some eggs, toast and two bowls of cereal I am forced to re-evaluate that decision.  Have I failed in the challenge on the first meal?  I suppose – from a certain point of view.  Oh well, things can only get better from here, I hope.
Later in the day my family is getting packed up to make a trip to town to see some friends and take in a movie.  No problem… I knew this was coming – a little bit of planning and I’ll be fine.  I opt to eat supper before leaving while the others can take it easy in the knowledge that food is only a drive-through away when they get to town.  For me it’s a can of vegetable soup with Melba toast (no crackers in the food supply) and another piece of bread with peanut butter.  This is a piece of cake (not literally – I am conserving  the cake that came in the basket).  Smug with the confidence of a full belly I head into town.  It’s about 5 hours later that I am reminded that I didn’t bother packing any snacks.  I’ve never really been one to go for the Cineplex popcorn and treats but it’s a whole different story when the option is taken away.  I quickly forget about the movie as my stomach rumbles on the way out of the theatre.  Too bad – a quick trip home isn’t in the cards.  My wife decides now would be a good time to tour the shops at the Riocan.  This sucks!  Another 2 hours later and my positively empty stomach is ready to eat the whole world.  I settle for some more bread, a can of chilli and slightly expired dessert squares.
Day 2: Saturday March 19th 2011
With the food swapping precedent set yesterday I opt for eggs again.  I also work through the rest of the bread.  Mostly because it won’t be long before it goes bad and I hate to waste food.
Another trip into town - this time for Costco and groceries.  Sheesh groceries – I don’t even get to eat them.  It isn’t too bad, though I am forced to wonder if I am trying to make up for the egg swap when I skip out on the free Costco deep dish pizza samples.  Perhaps things are getting easier. 
After stopping to pick up my forgotten eggs, bacon and expired milk it’s another mad dash home to my food supply.  This time I go for  a nice can of chicken soup and some more melba toast.   I don’t know if I will ever have a shortage of food but I’m sure I don’t like be tied to by kitchen like this.  I certainly took for granted the freedom that comes with having enough money to eat out.  Perhaps I should stay home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment